Next to Normal is an electrifying new rock musical about a suburban mom’s struggle with bipolar disorder and her family’s heroic efforts to hold it all together. It is an emotional, funny, and ultimately hopeful musical that aims straight for the heart.
Winner of 3 Tony Awards, including best score, and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
“Brave, breathtaking… a feel everything musical!” – Ben Brantley, NY Times
Age recommendation: suitable for 16 and up (contains some strong language and mature themes)
Run time: 2 hours and 15 minutes, including one intermission
Show Location: Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center Auditorium Buskirk-Chumley Theater
NEXT TO NORMAL….
- was nominated for 11 Tony Awards in 2009 and won 3, including best score
- won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama (only the 8th musical to win the Pulitzer)
- returns Cardinal to the Ivy Tech Waldron Auditorium for its first musical at the Waldron since the smash hit Little Shop of Horrors
- has a set designed by Mark Smith, who previously designed The Diary of Anne Frank, My Fair Lady and boom
- has a lighting design by Michael C Jackson, who lit A Year with Frog and Toad, Bill W & Dr Bob, and To Kill a Mockingbird
- features the costumes of Butler University’s Wendy Meaden, whose work was previously seen in Bill W & Dr Bob
- features New York’s Tina Stafford (Arena Stage, LaJolla Playhouse) as Diana and Chicago’s Joe Tokarz (national tour of Les Miserables) as Dan
- features four terrific local actors, including Nat Zegree, the loose-limbed Scarecrow in our family holiday production of The Wizard of Oz and IU’s Hannah Slabbagh (Sally Bowles in IU’s recent Cabaret)
- has musical direction by Dan Lodge-Rigal, musical director for Big River and The Grapes of Wrath
- has vocal direction by Susan Swaney, the artistic director of Voces Novae and vocal direction on The Wizard of Oz and musical direction on My Fair Lady