Artistic director Randy White takes on Shakespeare’s courtroom tour de force with an all-female cast. Marking the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death and the 500th anniversary of the establishment of the Jewish ghetto in Venice, Cardinal’s Merchant is produced in association with IU’s College of Arts and Sciences’ 2016 Themester on “Beauty.”
“In 16th-century Venice, Bassanio hopes to wed Portia. But to have a chance at winning her hand in marriage, he needs to have a lot of money — a critical resource he lacks. And because Bassanio’s rich friend Antonio is unable to help, he’s forced to make a deadly deal with pitiless moneylender Shylock. Bassanio will get his money — and without paying interest. If he doesn’t pay it back, however, he will owe Shylock a pound of his flesh.” – Film Synopsis
CARDINAL’S PRODUCTION OF THE MERCHANT OF VENICE…
- is produced in association with IU’s College of Arts and Sciences’ 2016 Themester on “Beauty.”
- features an all-female cast!
- is Cardinal’s Bucket List Comedy play of the season.
- is based in 1920’s Venice, Italy.
- features Chicago-based actresses Liz Pazik as Shylock, Leslie Ann Handelman as Portia, Caitlan Taylor as Bassanio, and Eliza Stoughton as Lorenzo and Arragon, and New York-based actress Yadira Correa as Gratiano and Morocco, in their Cardinal Stage debuts.
- features Cardinal Stage veterans Courtney Reid Harris (Hairspray), Caroline Huerta (Hairspray), Francesca Sobrer (Love, Loss, and What I Wore), Alex Goodman (The Wizard of Oz), Mary Carol Reardon (My Fair Lady & Bill W. and Dr. Bob), and Becky Underwood (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest).
- features Bloomington locals in their Cardinal Stage debuts, including Nicole Bruce, Amira Sabbagh, Kaila Day, and Andee Schray.
- has a gorgeous and grand set by IU Faculty Emeritus of the Opera Studies Department, David Higgins.